Strokes of Life

Happy Tuesday!

I wrote this poem a few weeks ago after being blown away by the beauty of....well, everything. I pictured the Creator as the ultimate artist, actually painting the skies, or composing the sounds the birds make. One day I'll put it to music and sing it, but for now its just a little poem. Nonetheless I wanted to share it. I hope it encourages you like it did me as you reflect on the art that is life!

One stroke of a brush
And there was light-
A canvas of wet,
A canvas of dry.
Strokes of life.

One beat of a drum
And galaxies dance,
And tides twirl in,
And flowers chant
Singing with one voice.

One drop of color,
A page of white.
A skillful design
Brush strokes of life.
The paint soaked deep within my skin,
Now I sing of paintings painted within,

One million sounds bleed into one.
All of the colors speak with one tongue.
All of the hearts beat by one drum.
All of the hurt is healed by one love.

The paint soaked deep into my skin,
Now I sing of paintings painted within.




(ps. Please comment below with thoughts, suggestions, hate mail, random questions.....anything, really. I'd love to hear from anyone who is reading!)

12 comments:

  1. Beautifully worshipful, thanks for sharing your art.reading walking on water so maybe between you and m. L'engle the creative juices will begin to flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daddio. Walking On Water was a gigantic inspiration to me, so I'm sure you'll love it!

      Delete
  2. Love it. Great Imagery :) and an even greater reminder of the small glories and mini-miracles that are happening all around me. While I rush throughout the day trying to beat the clock and check items off my list, God is strewing my path with little jewels. Oh boy! Thanks again for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. The small things have been hitting me lately (obviously, with all I've been writing about it) and its been fun trying to change my mindset to notice them more often. I'm glad you liked the poem!

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing Olivia, Your heart is a blessing to me. Thanks for reminding me to be still and be Joyous over the little things God has done and not to rush through each day just trying to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy. Not rushing through the day is one of the hardest things for me, and so I'm trying to be extra intentional with my time lately. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your poem. I especially loved it when you said " I pictured the Creator as the ultimate artist, actually painting the skies, or composing the sounds the birds make."

    Would love to hear the song it becomes one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikole, thank you for reading! If the poem ever becomes a song, I'll be sure to post it!
      (ps. I love how you spell your name. Its my middle name, but I spell it "Nicole"...your's is very original! :) )

      Delete
    2. Thanks. :) My daddy is responsible for that - he said it should be spelled like it sounds and that's how the 'k' came to be.

      Delete
  5. You are an astounding writer, stellar woman of God, and amazing friend! Continue to write all your thoughts down because you have a talent that should not be concealed. I like how you started adding more pictures to your blog; I can actually see all the adventures panning out (though I see most of them in real life since I am a part of some). My one recommendation would be to write about an adventure to a corn field...I've heard they're a fun time and you can make friends there too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, you are too kind! Thanks for the encouragement. A very wise man once sang a song about adventures in corn fields and the friends you can meet there. Maybe you've heard of him? Probably not...oh well. Thanks as always for reading :D

      Delete
    2. Yes I think that I know this wise man...I'm spacing his name...something with a J? Word on the grapevine is that this wise individual has recently passed, may he rest in peace. Anywho, you're welcome for reading. It's a pleasure to read because it fills the dark voids in my soul that can only be solaced by a hipster-esque, man sweater lover, far out writer.

      Delete