Born for the Sunrise

It's 8:00 AM, and given the choice, I would probably still be asleep. I don't have class until one, so sleeping the day away isn't an uncommon pastime. However, I've recently discovered the beauty of jumping out of bed at 5:30 to quiet my vibrating alarm clock, drinking a cup of coffee and reading a chapter or two of Spurgeon's Morning devotional to wake up my heart too, all before the rest of campus is even awake. It's silent, which is a sound that is rarely (if ever) heard on a college campus, and I'm learning to soak it in every chance I get.
Taylor (one of my new favourite people) and I have started a weekly ritual of trekking up to Horsetooth reservoir every Monday morning to watch the sunrise. Last week I brought my guitar and we had a early morning worship session overlooking the city. Today we just chatted and drank tea, watching the pink sun push its way over the horizon.
There is something about forcing myself to start the day earlier that motivates me to excel at everything else I have to do. Maybe its just because I have more time to do it, or maybe its because seeing the day begin reminds me that the God who painted the sunrise is in control of my little life and there's nothing I can do to change that.



"What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives?" ~EM Forester  

"There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope. "~ Bern Williams

3 comments:

  1. this was so inspiring! I've never heard of that devotional but it sounds awesome. I loved the last line, about the Lord painting the sunrise! really beautifully put!
    congrats on starting your blog! its challenging at times, but it is soo worth it to have a mini online journal to share your thoughts.. i started blogging recently and it has been amazing!!
    kaithuber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kait! I've fallen in love with blogging recently too. Good luck with your blog and thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing it! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete